Working with the industry’s most progressive CIO’s, Wavestone US has developed an approach to transform IT into an effective, value creating service equipped to manage the five most disruptive IT trends which include:
- the shift in responsibility for IT to the business,
- the convergence of ITO and BPO,
- the growth in social, big data, mobility and analytics,
- the commoditization of IT and global delivery
- and the consumerization of IT.
The time has now come for businesses to rethink IT. CIOs must evolve; a CIO can no longer simply manage and plan service delivery capabilities of internal IT groups, hardware, software, and network infrastructures. They must become a choreographer who integrates the services delivered by a diverse group of providers, manages the shift of responsibility for IT to the business, champions effective governance framework and vendor management capabilities and becomes a master of business model invention and re-engineering.
Those who do not will be marginalized. In fact, many CIOS are at a crossroads; so today, we are pleased to release “ReThink IT,” a far-reaching global strategy paper that captures and analyzes the five most disruptive IT trends that are singlehandedly changing the role of CIOs and the IT function. ReThink IT also addresses the most relevant issues faced by today’s CIOs and actionable strategies to drive business value from IT. These strategies include:
- A new approach to the IT supply and integration into one comprehensive model that addresses: how IT services are procured (in-sourced, outsourced), managed (shared services, multi-sourcing), and delivered (Cloud, Xaas – Offshore, Onshore, Captives)
- A new enterprise-wide governance discipline that provides greater accountability for decision-making around the use of IT and a vendor management office to manage not only outsourced vendors, but also, all the sources of services across the IT supply chain
- New roles, responsibilities, and skills for the CIO and all IT managers and staff. Above all the CIO must be an advisor to the business.
- A new way to manage IT services and the project portfolio, one that will bring high levels of service satisfaction and better allocate limited resources to support a company’s strategic needs
- A new way to think about how the IT function can provide value to the business—a broader role that calls for IT to help the company exploit critical new technologies and drive technology-enabled innovation
Redefining the role of a CIO is essential, and above all, today’s CIO must be an advisor to the business. Innovation needs to come from those CIOs who have a real understanding of the services and products available in the market and how to integrate them based on their specific needs. They must capture these opportunities to not only lower costs and increase revenue, but also, to transform their IT organization from pure cost reduction to a top line growth orientation.
To learn more about what Wavestone US can do for your company, visit http://www.wavestone.us/capabilities/.
Have a Question? Just Ask
Whether you're looking for practical advice or just plain curious, our experienced principals are here to help. Check back weekly as we publish the most interesting questions and answers right here.